Bizzare goal sets up fomfortable UCD win

by Dwayne Leavy

DCU men’s senior GAA team lost their second league game off the season when they were comprehensively outplayed by UCD at the DCU Sportsgrounds last Wednesday.

It was a farcical mix-up in the DCU defence which allowed UCD to score the game’s only goal and in doing so, taking a lead they never looked like relinquishing.

Michael Boyle, the DCU goalkeeper took a free kick from his own 21 yard line and stayed outfield in anticipation of a return pass.

But the ball was intercepted by UCD full forward, Donie Kingston who instinctively swivelled and shot from 25 metres out with the ball bouncing into an empty net.

This was after DCU had made the brighter star. Corner Forward David Kelly got the games opening score when he pointed a simple free.

The ever changing wind was slightly favouring DCU in the early stages and they attacked regularly in the first 15 minutes but could only add another point.

A long high ball into full forward Killian Kehoe was broken down with Colin Compton picking up the loose ball and slotting over from 25 metres.

UCD missed a simple 21 yard free before David Kelly then missed a relatively easy effort at the other end.

The visiting side were gaining parity at midfield and their attacking orientated half back line were causing real trouble for the DCU defence.

They finally got of the mark after 20 minutes with a 14 yard free before Donie Kingston kicked an impressive point from a difficult angle into the teeth of the breeze to level the scores.

Kingston was on hand to goal moments later and in the very next attack UCD nearly bagged another goal.

A scything run from the UCD wing back was eventually ended in the DCU small rectangle as the DCU defence scrambled back to crowd out the attacker.

Kieran Sheridan gave away a foul in front of the posts as UCD extended their lead at the break to lead 1-03 to 0-2.

UCD continued to run at the DCU defence and got the next four points of the game to open a commanding eight point lead.

DCU were now a facing the prospect of a real hammering as they struggled to find any way through the visiting defence. Sub Donal Smith pointed before David Kelly converted another free.

It was to be only a brief respite as UCD regrouped to close the game out comfortably with three unanswered points to complete the hurling and football double.

It was a very disjointed performance from the home side, who were admittedly under strength, but will nonetheless be extremely disappointed with only four scores in 60 minutes and only two of those from play.

DCU lost their first league game at home to NUIM on a score-line of 0-11 to 1-12.

DCU Team: M Boyle; E Culligan, Neil Collins, Ciaran Cafferkey; Luke Bree, Johnny Cooper, David Keenan; Martin McElhenny, John Keegan; Colin Compton (0-1), Antoine McFadden, Jim McEneaney; Jack Brady, Killian Kehoe, David Kelly (0-2f) . Subs: K Sheridan, Pete Dooney, Donal Smith (0-1).

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.