Fresher hurlers suffer third league defeat – DIT 1-14 DCU 0-11

DCU’s hurlers missed the opportunity to register their first league win of the campaign, with clinical finishing continuing to elude them.

DIT took advantage of slack shooting in the opening quarter, to forge a 1-6 to 0-4 lead. In the same period, DCU squandered seven scoring opportunities, including a well saved goal chance.

DIT’s Conor Devens was a picture of composure as he racked up an impressive 0-8 from play and dead ball situations. Devens made life difficult for the visitor’s half-back line, as his runs through the middle of the park exposed DCU’s defence frailties.

The second half saw a revitalised DCU side attempt to claw their way back into proceedings, but five consecutive wides again left much to be desired.

There was a glimmer of hope however, with impressive fielding by Tony French keeping the supply lines open to the inside line. The Wexford minor was a fiery and commanding figure on the pitch, echoing the calls for intensity and controlled aggression from the side-forwards.

DCU had the sliotar in the back of the net in the 42nd minute, but this was ruled out by the referee as a square ball. This call appeared to knock the wind out of the visitors’ sails as the boys in navy could only muster four points in the remainder of the half.

The combined efforts of Padraig Bolger and Darragh Lawlor could not prevent the away side trailing by six at the finish, with a brace of points from the DIT forward unit closing the door on a DCU revival.

In the end it was Ciaran O’Shea’s well taken first-half goal which really cut deepest, allowing poor shooting and squandered possession to manifest itself. A total of 15 wides will be tough reading for the DCU fresher’s hurling team, but positives can be taken from the performance. Leadership shown from Tony French and Niall Keegan may ignite the intensity and cutting edge this side needs.

Cian Roche at Grangegorman

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.